Monday, May 23, 2016

BASTARD’S Jason Barron on giallo and horror classics


jasonbarron1.jpg

Jason Barron, front man for metal monsters BASTARD and a signature of the St. Louis metal sound since the 1990s, is a confirmed ghost story and horror film fanatic! Here he speaks with Mondo Metal STL about masters of Italian fright cinema and some of his favorites of classic gore and horror.


MMStL: When did you start watching Italian horror movies?


JB: Not really sure. I'm guessing 1980 or ‘81.  My father and my grandparents were into horror. That's what got me started as a young child.


What are some of your favorites?


That could take some time, so I'll keep it on the shorter side! (laughs) Let's start with pretty much everything Mario Bava has done! And Suspiria, House By The Cemetery, Cat O' Nine Tails, Body Count, Pieces, All Colors Of The Dark, Strip Nude For Your Killer, Beyond Darkness, Deep Red, Lizard In A Woman's Skin, Cannibal Apocalypse, Stage Fright, Cannibal Ferox.. I could go on, of course.


Who are your favorite directors?


Bava, of course. Dario Argento, Joe D' Amato, Lucio Fulci, Umberto Lenzi, Lamberto Bava and, Ruggero Deodato.


Who are your favorite actors?


The beautiful Edwige Fenech! Giovanni Lombardo Radice, Barbara Steele, Jose Mojica Marin, Paul Naschy, Karen Black, Peter Cushing, Ingrid Pitt, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, David Hess, of course I could go on! Not all Italian actors!


What are your preferences in giallo? Because some, of course, are very artful in style and still others are a great deal more gritty-looking.


I’m not really particular. As long as it keeps my attention, and the mood and score is creepy, I'm game! Gritty isn't a problem if it has some darkness to back it up.


Is there an era in Italian horror that you like more than another?


I'd definitely say the late 60s to mid 80s is greatness! This is the time frame when Italian films were truly dark and actually scary in my opinion!


Have you ever met any Italian actors or directors at conventions?


No, and that really is a bummer.. I've been to many conventions, met many actors but none of the Italian actors or directors. If I had to pick a female actress or actor to meet, it definitely would be Edwige Fenech and Giovanni Lombardo Radice!! Both amazing.

This here's Edwige Fenech


How do you feel when you see newer, American directors’ films reference giallo?


I absolutely fucking hate it! I wish them death by George Eastman! (laughs)


What are your favorite soundtracks?


Suspiria, Deep Red, and anything Goblin has done.


Do these movies influence your songwriting?


Absolutely! The new Bastard song “Hades Command," "Tombs Of The Blind Dead," (based on) the Amando de Ossorio film, and "Wages Of Sin" about the film Deranged by Alan Ormsby.  Also, my old band, Harkonin did a song about the film The Devil's Rain. So yeah, much inspiration from the masters. Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to list Demons one and two on my favorite films! (laughs) Take care, and Hails!


Thanks for your time, Jason!


Hey, thank you for the interview and a special thanks to the horror masters!!


jasonbarron2.jpg
Photo credit to Kelton Barron


Tags: #bastardstl, #stlmetal, #jasonbarron, #giallo, #classichorror, #classicgore, #mondometalstl

Interview by Richard Jaspering for Mondo Metal STL, 05/22/16



No comments:

Post a Comment